Saturday 13 June 2009

First post

5am, Sunday 14th June 2009.
Another sleepless night, with nagging doubts about having done the right thing.
The last 2 weeks have been, without doubt, the most painful of my life to date. Here's a quick run-down of how I got to this:

Wednesday 27th May, into hospital for tests - all positive and the op scheduled for the morning of the 28th. I elected to have an epidural, as it promised the better pain management option.
Thursday 28th May - down to Theatre just after everyone else had eaten - someone else managed to scoff my lambs' liver dinner. Back to 'high care', where I seemed to be awake far sooner than everyone else. I was attached to a morphine pump and various other guismos, which were checked regularly by the wonderful nurses.
Friday 29th May - back to the 'real' ward, but right by the nurses' station. Suffice to say, the day blurrred into the next, when I was moved back up the ward.
Saturday 30th May, a scorching hot day. The nurses got me up and moving, though I was limited by back pain.
Tuesday 2 June - out of hospital and home on crutches. I'd managed 'the bend' to a sufficient degree that I was deemed suitable for 'release'.

Various other small milestones have happened in the interim 2 weeks - visits by my therapist and nurse, who carefully removed all clips last Thursday, 2 weeks after 'the op'.

So, I'm now one step closer to recovery, to do all those things I've missed out on over the last few years. We have bought a puppy for those all important walks and everything looks good.
Except I can't sleep and the pain nags away.

No comments:

Post a Comment